Thursday, February 16, 2012

To Vote or Not To..

I think, and sincerely believe that voting is a joke. Here’s why.
In my “area” of elections, let us consider three political parties that may be contesting the forthcoming elections.
1) Shiv Sena
2) BJP
3) Congress

For the purpose of understanding to readers not from India, the numbers are also an accurate representation of their ranks with respect to criminal acts/criminal associations. In ascending order, they represent blue collar crimes, riots, extortions etc, In the opposite order, they represent white collar crimes like misappropriation of funds, bribes for permits etc.
Now given that my choice is amongst probably five candidates, the fourth one usually is a cast in by one of the major three. Someone to contest the elections split the vote base and drop out later. The fifth guy usually is a goon with enough of political pull to be able to create his own party.
Oh yes, I seemed to be forgetting an elemental part of this, they all hate me! Apparently I fit their bill for the devil, should they ever need him personified.
I’m Christian! Well by birth anyway. (How undramatic you say? Indeed.). We’re loved for a two month window during the elections, not before, not after.
I’m not a native of the land. I live in a state called Maharashtra. My lineage is originally from a state called Goa. Which means that even though I was born here, spent my entire life here (so did my father), I’ll never be a Maharashtrian when politicians decide to play this card.
I have a job. In accordance with the above point, I’m robbing the job of some hard working Maharashtrian boy somewhere who just lacks the resolve to actually go find one.
I’m a musician with, brace yourself, Long Hair! Yea, this unfortunately isn’t even a stereotype anymore. The land of Bollywood already isn’t kind to us without receiving aids from the central government in way of Taxes on performances and ridiculous import charges on musical instruments. Come on! We’re making music with it! Not gold! *sigh
Western Culture: And this should be obvious. If you’ve considered all the above points, you’ll realize that I’m from something the media likes to call generation X, or Z, Or something.. We “inculcate” western culture and values in the innocent natives of this humble place. Culture like Valentine’s Day! And Proms! Speaking in English! Us with our western influences! How distasteful! We encourage the natives to dress immodestly and swing their barely clad bodies immorally to hypnotizing beats.

Now, there’s a certain section of people out there who would no doubt object by saying “If you don’t like what’s happening, do it yourself”. This argument has so many flaws, it only works to reinforce my stance on the whole “we’re letting a bunch of ill informed idiots do the voting, for issues they don’t even fully comprehend” idea.
Me contesting the elections is like me jousting with a toothpick against “Sir I-Have-a-huge-iron-lance”.
Apart from the fact that I have zero political pull, and not criminal associations (This is a bad thing for electoral contestants), I also don’t know the regional language (Marathi) we enough to appeal to the broader demographic. I can always be cast as the foreign ‘devil’ trying to convert the innocent minds of, er, haven’t you been paying attention all this while?
What's the saddest part of this whole sordid deal is that the intelligent or even literate percentage of the voting population is so negligible, that even the audience facebook reaches does not compete. I'm expected to fall in line as a drop in the ocean of people who don't make wise financial decisions, personal decision, heck they don't even know what to eat, wear, way or THINK beyond what the television tells them to, I'm expect to stand in line with them to propagate some nonsense of how my vote will make a change? When the system changes, affair are made more transparent or when they establish at least a basic standard test of IQ before allowing people to vote, call me up. I'll be the one first in line..

No comments:

Post a Comment