Friday, January 21, 2011

Last words

Can you think of your last words ever to the people you loved?
Have they been words of encouragement? Of making them feel safe, loved and wanted or are they angst ridden words that indicate turmoil.
Last words have a profound long term impact on people. They’re the first thing they think of when they reminisce about you. When nostalgic, those last words will always be remembered. They words have the ability to conjure up a whole range of varied emotions in people. Right from anger to sadness, from feeling loved, to feeling despised and hated, from feeling brotherhood to feeling unwanted.
Do you remember the last words of people you’ve loved and have now lost?
Were they all you wanted them to be? Did they make you feel special and loved?

Not everyone has the privilege of a death bed. Some people die before they get the chance to tell you that they love you. That you meant the world to them. That they find it impossible to function at even a day to day level without hearing your voice. That the day just isn’t the same when they’ve woken up to find you are away and not lying there in bed next to them. People are robbed of the chance to tell you that they’d discovered the meaning of love the day they met you. That a single smile on your face is worth a thousand frowns on their own. That they’d walk until forever, just to meet you for a minute. That they find all the comfort they’ll ever need in one last hug.

Some people don’t get the chance to say, “thank you, you’ve been the best parent you could be”, that they couldn’t have been the people they are today if not first being created by you. Thank you for all those nights you stayed up in patience whilst I cried. Thank you for buying me that new cycle with the money you’d been saving up for what would be the replacement to your torn shoes. Thank you for those days of summer vacation you made fun. Thank you for spending about 500 vacation’s worth of money raising me. Thank you for understanding me or for the times you don’t; trusting me.

People die without saying, thank you for being the best friend life could ever offer. For knowing me better than myself. For always standing by me in a fight. For wanting to have my back, even if that meant following me to hell. For standing behind me when I lacked confidence. For letting go of me when you realized that you’d never match up in ways. For always thinking of my feelings as if they were created by your own heart. For saying that you’ll always be there.

So what are your last words going to be?
Life is too short and unpredictable. In a world where potentially every last word could be your last, make them count.

No comments:

Post a Comment