Friday, December 24, 2010

Trouble brewing on christmas eve

So i sit here, my physical hunger temporarily satiated with pork, until i next seek to fill my emotional void i remind myself.
I sit and wonder where it all began. It is christmas eve today. The day everyone, whatever God they may follow, be suddenly filled with an inexplicable sense of cheer and goodwill. The sort of day where you make peace with your enemies and hug loved ones closer.
Yet I sit here, reeking of pork, a somewhat dissatisfied expression plastered on my face.
It isn't that I'm not thankful. In the broader sense of the term thankful I assure you. I am thankful for all the smaller things (I think). The dissatisfaction arises with the realization that I don't enjoy this festival as much as I'm supposed to. Who exactly measures my level of satisfaction in these terms I'll never know, but yet, people just will not cease to point out, that I'm just not in the right spirit.
The right spirit! Me! can you believe that?
I will admit to not believing in the whole fairy tale of the wonder that is the bible. Also I will ignore the whole bit of how Christ was *actually* born somewhere in summer (go ahead google "christ born in summer"! i dare you!)
what infuriates me really is the false pretenses of this celebration.
Forced into customs that don't make sense. Forced to conform to norms that aren't all that intelligent. Ahh well..
Next year will be much different Desmond..
And if it isn't, I'm sorely disappointed *shakes head in sadness*
Maybe you're not the Desmond I thought you'd turn out to be after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment