Saturday, February 5, 2011

My friends - the spinning plates.


I usually come up with many varied analogies to explain myself, ranging from the totally sensible ones to ones that are random and weird but accurate.

This one I particularly like.

Have you ever witnessed the art where a man spins multiple plates on pins or nails? He spins them on his finger and places them on a nail so that they keep rotating whilst he takes the next one and so on. These people usually manage to spin about 15-20 plates before the first one loses enough momentum to spin itself off the nail.

I am this spinner of plates and my friends are these plates.

At any point there exists a point of elasticity of the number of friends I can have, too many and a few of them automatically lose momentum and fall..

Some of the friends aren't spun with enough of skill to sustain their rotation, so they lose momentum and fall off on their own.

Some of the friends are too different, plates I'm not used to or don't feel right, hence they don't spin quite as well, fall off.

Few plates get affected by external factors, people blowing bad winds of information of them, lose momentum.

Here's where it gets interesting for me,
I can't as any good plate spinner, let two plates ever collide. Both crash to the ground. In a similar fashion, I can never let two friends collide. They both clash terribly and fall off leaving pieces of glass/material everywhere that might at times even prick me after they've broken. A broken plate can never be respun with the same integrity as before. They just spin awkwardly for a while and fall off.

And then there are plates that just spin. Perfectly rounded, of perfect make, no off centered weights to tip them, don't get affect by any external factors and don't clash with any of the others spinning.. These are the plates that will be spinning long after every else has crashed and broken into millions of little pieces.


And so are my friends like spinning plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment